Empowerment Opportunity Center provides a variety of activities through the Community Services Block Grant, which are geared to assist low-income persons in working toward family stability. Persons assisted must meet CSBG income eligibility guidelines and be residents of Macon County to qualify for services. To schedule an appointment, call 217-428-0155. No walk-ins are taken.
The Weatherization Program assists low-income families by weatherizing their homes (at this time, we cannot weatherize rental/landlord properties). It is designed to help save fuel and money while increasing the comfort and safety of their homes. Although most dwellings waste energy, different types of houses have different type of energy problems. Depending on the circumstances and the condition of your home, some of the weatherization work that may be completed would consist of adding insulation, repairing or replacing furnaces, air sealing windows and/or doors, and sealing cracks in the home.
Weatherization services include having an experienced and certified Energy Auditor examine your home once you have been approved through the program. Weatherization will send professional, licensed contractors to complete the work to your home that our Energy Auditor has entered into our updated energy savings system to complete the work to your home. Some of the work that could possibly be included can be, but not limited to:
- Clean & Tune to the heating system
- Repair the heating system
- In some cases replacing the heating system
- Attic Insulation
- Wall Insulation
- Repair windows and doors
- Replacing glass in window and/or doors
- Replacing Refrigerator and/or Freezers
- Air Sealing throughout the home
How does the Weatherization Program work?
- Call or come into Empowerment Opportunity Center to fill out a form to have your name added to our waiting list. Our waiting list is approximately 18 – 24 months long.
- Once you are contacted by Empowerment Opportunity Center from the waiting list, you will come into the office to fill out an application for qualification.
- Once Empowerment Opportunity Center has determined if your household is income eligible, we will notify you within 30 days once all the qualifications are met.
- Once our program year begins your will be contacted by one of our Energy Auditors to come and conduct and audit to your home. This will be completed in a priority number only.
- Once the audit is completed, the work to be completed will be determined by a special computerized system to apply the appropriate materials to your home by our professional, licensed contractors.
- Once all steps are completed we will send a Licensed, certified Final Inspector to conduct an inspection on all the work completed on the home to insure it has been completed correctly.
YOU MUST CALL OR COME INTO THE OFFICE TO ADD YOUR NAME TO OUR WAITING LIST!
Weatherization Program Office:
Karla Jordan, Energy Services Director
360 E Marietta St
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps eligible low-income households pay for home energy services (primarily heating during winter months). Energy costs can place severe and continuing stress on a family’s budget. In some instances, households are forced to make painful decisions regarding which bills to pay and which necessities to survive without. Illinois residents with a household income that does not exceed an amount determined annually by the Department of Commerce are eligible. Annual eligibility levels are determined based on available funding and may not exceed 200% of the federal nonfarm poverty level.
Here are the items clients must have on the day of their appointments
- Social Security Cards for the entire household
- Current Power Bill
- Income for the household for the past 30 days (all SSI, SSA, Wages, TANF, Pensions, etc)
- Medical Cards/Medicare Cards (if applicable)
- Link Card (if applicable)
- Current rent receipt or proof of homeownership
All items must be printed and ready at your appointment. We need those items physically. We cannot accept an image on your cell phone, or email. In the event that you need to print something out, come before your scheduled appointment and you can use our computer lab. Thank you and have a great day!